Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our 1st Guest

Happy Tuesday Readers! 
We are so pleased to have our talented photographer friend, Emily Large share a DIY project with us today. Liza and I both met Emily in college, and years later, while we were in seminary, Emily married a classmate of our husbands, and our paths have been crossed ever since!

Bienvenidos!
emilylargephotography.com

With a baby on the way, I’m flexing my organizational muscles as we move our daughters into the same room to make space for our new little one.  I’m not a naturally organized or linear thinking person.  I tend to put things where they “make sense to me” or “I’ll remember where I put that later.”  But now I will have to put some logical order to the “organized chaos.”  

And I’ll probably start that project next week.  (-:
Before we get to that, though, I have to re-decorate the room so that both girls feel at home.  And this part will be fun!  With a small budget and 2 budding artists in the home, I decided to put them to work for our project.
I bought about 30 8x10 canvas panels from our local art supply store (A.C. Moore), some child friendly paints, some ticky tack adhesive (it’s like putty) and let the girls at it.  It was a fun afternoon activity we could do together, and including the girls in the project 1) made the oldest more amendable to the rearrangement and 2) made the younger daughter feel more at home in her new room and bed.
We originally covered a small wall in the room from floor to ceiling with the panels with the ticky tack and enjoyed the brightly covered space.  The girls loved putting the ticky tack on the panels and were so proud of their work.  And again, we had another fun afternoon activity working together.


Unfortunately it occurred to me the next day that the beds would have to be rearranged.  Bummer!  Undoing all our hard work wasn’t easy, but it was worth it to get it just right.
We rearranged the canvases to create a bit of a headboard for each girl’s bed.  We moved in the beds, and it’s as cute as can be.




For the rest of the room, I’ve bought some big frames from IKEA and am printing 2 of my favorite photos of each girl to hang on the walls.  I LOVE the clean and powerful statements that large prints make.  (When the floors are cluttered and the beds are unmade, at least the walls are beautiful, right?)  I highly recommend printing your photos at mpix.com.  First class quality on a tight budget.  Beautiful photographs + mpix.com + IKEA = inexpensive, sentimental, and stylish walls.

Thank you Emily! 
If you need beautiful photos taken, Emily is your gal! Check her out at emilylargephotography.com &http://www.facebook.com/pages/Emily-Large-Photography/205407696161061




Besos,


M


4 comments:

  1. Emily, you're a genius! I love the girls' new room. Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Emily. You give us so many good ideas. Love this blog too! Very talented ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily! I didn't know you were pregnant! Congrats! And the girls' rooms look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This room is just so whimsical and fun! what a great place to grow up in... Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...