Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bewitching Hours....

I say the hours between 5 and 7 PM can perfectly be described as the bewitching hours.  Kids are hungry (who am I kidding? I am hungry, too) you are trying to prepare supper while they pull on your apron strings.  These two hours can be tense if you don't have a plan of action.  Of late I decided to begin cooking early and inviting Sophia into the mix.
This last week Sophia and I made a healthy version of meatballs 
and spaghetti. 

Ingredients
White Turkey Breast Ground Meat
Mexican Oregano
Sea Salt
Ray's Spaghetti Sauce
Spring Onions
Mushrooms
Fresh Ground Pepper
Linguine Pasta

Side Note
I am a big believer that modified and age appropriate activities can be perfect learning opportunities.  Children's self-esteem is boosted when they can achieve and share. Preparing the family meal together is a wonderful opportunity to share and build important skills.

The Result: Happiness & Full Tummies
I divided the ingredients into little bowls so Sophia could easily mix the ingredients without me hovering over her. I instructed her to mix the Oregano, Salt, Pepper, and Turkey Meat.  When she completed her mixing portion I asked her to form small balls into another bowl.
After I gave the instructions to her, I completed the stove top tasks, since children should not be cooking over the stove.  I sautéed the onion in half a cup of olive oil along with the mushrooms. When they were browned we removed them and tossed the meatballs into the pot.  
At this time Sophia washed her hands really well and went off to play. Giving her a job she could achieve made her feel proud.  I cooked the linguine on my own.  Then I tossed the linguine in with the meat balls added the sauce, mushrooms, and onions.  The meal was delicious along with a salad and glass of wine, it meal was pretty satisfying. 

Something Sweet
Fridays are always a day for a treat, so naturally Sophia I baked cookies.  This is a simple and fun cooking experience for everyone all around. Just toss & mix your favorite cookie recipe together. 



Add caption
  
Enjoy whatcha got and who you're with!!!

M

3 comments:

  1. She looks so grown up! Ahhh...Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's SO cute! The recipe looks delicious and easy. We let Neil press the button on the salad spinner and launch cans into the recycling. Kids are hilarious fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They love helping and it makes for a better meal time together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...