Thursday, May 17, 2012

Chic Mex

I LOVE throwing a party. I am sure I was meant to be a clergy wife for this reason. Last week we had four couples over for supper.  I decided to go with Mexican food, since it is what I love and so often can't find in the city.  I love Mexican food so much because it is at its best when it is fresh and cooked simply. NO FRIED FOOD por favor!!!



TIP UNO
When throwing a party I do all the set up and clean-up the day before. I think it is WAY TOO stressful do everything in the same day. I also do ALL the shopping the day before.  Then when party day arrives, all you must do is cook and arrange accordingly. I even put out the serving platters, then I know what goes where.






TIP DOS
Small details are everything. I add a few flowers to the powder room, and in any space that will do.






Adding the right types of flowers will add to any occasion. I chose peonies and lilac because they are A. in season, B. sentimental, and C. bring elegance to a simple food. 

MIX IT UP
I love mixing a bit of modern furniture with old. I always use our antique bench and Ikea chairs. They set the mood with an informal elegance.


A little help is always welcomed, and additional hands can make the process really fun and stress free! THANKS NIA!!!


OUR INTENTION
Since we were having a party with the intention that our guests get to know one another, I kept the setting informal by placing all the silverware together so we had to pass them around.  Passing silverware gives a communal vibe.



We also set up a taco bar, and everyone loved that. I think a favorite was the calabacita soup. What is not to love, and it is SOOOO good for you, too!! The taco bar was another fun way to meet one another.




Like I have said before, I am NO baker, so when it comes to sweets I keep it simple, strawberries and two-bite brownies. No stress involved and everyone is satisfied.





THE RESULT: FULL TUMMIES & HAPPY HEARTS!!!!


BESOS,


MEL

7 comments:

  1. Modern Furniture design elements can add a touch of style and design to any home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you have set everything up looks so pretty, and your Mexican food is famous! No wonder all of those people look so pleased:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup looks incredible! Could you post the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralinda, Melina has made that soup many times for us, and let me tell you, it's amazing. I don't know how it ends up tasting so good, but try it once and you'll be hooked! We need to get Mel to share her recipe, I agree.

      Delete
  4. I love all your tips, especially cleaning and decorating the night before.... It makes such a difference! How do you make such a long table, btw??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will post the recipe next week, stay tuned!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps early next week? My cousin and her husband are visiting and making us some chili verde. We might need soup to go with it -- even if the temps are in the 80's!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...