Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Faking a Built in Refrigerator: Before & After


I did it!  After *months* of painting the kitchen cabinets, they are finally finished!!  This was a long, slow process, mostly because I kept getting distracted by other, more fun projects along the way, I'll admit:)  The painters who gave me an estimate for this job suggested that I use oil based primer and paint to help prevent scratches and chipping in such a high use area, which meant longer drying times, messy cleanups and plenty of fumes-- but I'm happy with the result.

We have spent a lot of our remodeling energies in this room, which houses both the kitchen and our small den/TV area (with the built in bookshelves-- check out that post here).  Since here is where we spend most of our time, we wanted to make it a space where we could really enjoy lounging, cooking, and entertaining. There are so many projects that I'm excited to show you from this room!! For now I'll choose just one or two...

Here is a before photo of the space how it was when we bought the house.  One change we knew we wanted to make right away was to paint the heavily grained, oak kitchen cabinets to lighten up the room.  The original light fixtures, two huge hanging circle things, were woefully inadequate for the size of the kitchen, so the whole place felt dark and dated.  Thankfully I didn't mind the rubbed bronze drawer pulls and knobs that came with the kitchen, so we were able to save money by reusing them.  Every little bit helps!


We changed the layout of the cabinets around (more on that later) to free the refrigerator from its tight corner spot.  In an ideal world we could have had the wall bumped out behind it to create a counter depth look while preserving the full storage space of a full sized appliance, but that wasn't in the cards for several structural and budgetary reasons:)  So we set out to try to create the look of a counter depth by encasing it in plywood frame and bringing the upper cabinet forward, flush with the refrigerator door.  







Stay tuned for more before & after photos of the kitchen (my favorite kind of post!)

xo

Liza

22 comments:

  1. Wow, you have about 3 times the amount of cabinet space we have! Lucky! Continue to be impressed by your ambition and ability to actually make things look professionally done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly that love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me.
    dryer repair

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. refrigerator repair service in orange county

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing a valuable post and looking forward to learning more from this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is such a wonderful blog. it’s so helpful. Thank you for share your knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I want to thank you. Because for this great post you really deserve a big thumbs up. this blog helped me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s a really helpful blog. Thank you for share your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this amazing guide! It is very rare to see so much valuable content.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sharing for good information and its helpful for me.
    Thank-you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank a lot for sharing this awesome blog… keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. its really helpful for improvising my skill in writing blog. such detailed information. thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post!
    Very helpful, Thank you for the post shared with us. It is informative and interesting. Keep sharing the nice post …Keep doing a good job.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. fitted prior to fitting the cooker and splash back fixings are positioned behind the position of the extractor. Refrigerator, Dryer, Washer, Stove, Oven, Range, BBQ Repair in Carpinteria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! Nice post! Please tell us when I will see a follow up! Refrigerator Repair

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, you did it really. The final finish you made was superb. I like you home passion and decor ideas. The kitchen cabinet looks really so decent and sparkling its fresh beauty. BtW what if any of your home or kitchen appliances gets damages or faulty? Get it repaired or find a new one? I personally like to have my old one repaired from the appliance repair Coquitlam. May be some guys from Burnaby find it helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. alpharetta appliance repair in Atlanta GA USA.Visit our Website and book your order Now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank a lot for sharing this awesome info. I personally like the last point and follow me in my blog. I love to share on social media. keep it up!!!
    dishwasher repair in burnaby

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey! I have read your blog, it is very well-written content that you have shared here. I have learned many things related to .
    dishwasher repair in delta bc

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing nice post. You can check our site for dishwasher repair in Fort Lauderdale

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing this. If you need "appliance repair services", visit our site.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...