Tuesday, November 24, 2015

RECONSTRUCTED THANKSGIVING: CORNUCOPIAS REVITALIZED

About a month ago, I had a wedding assignment at St. John the Divine.  I was excited for this wedding because not only was the couple lovely, but they had some challenges to throw my way.  They requested cornucopias as their centerpieces for their large tables.  Knowing the space and my aesthetic, I was a bit stumped on how to bring my design into the mix, and played around with so many ideas.  The request was clear, cornucopias, gourds, and fruit must be placed in the setting. 
 Hmmmmm….. I thought large scale, elementary school projects, and toyed with the idea of baking braided bread for our cornucopias.  Then in the end I decided less is more, go with beautiful(tiny) fruit from the farmers market, find white grass, and add a bit of flowers on the side.  





GOING SMALL
WHEN YOUR DESIGNING AND REVITALIZING AN OLD TRADITION, I FIND IT MORE SUCCESSFUL WHEN YOU GO EXTREME.  SOME ARRANGEMENTS WORK WELL IN LARGE SCALE AND OTHERS HIT THE HIGH NOTES WHEN THEY ARE MINIATURE.  I FOUND THAT THE CORNUCOPIAS WORKED ON A SMALL SCALE.  WE HAD TINY GOURDS, MINI PEARS/APPLES, LOTS OF WHITE, AND BLACK.  WHEN IT CAME TIME TO CHOOSE PUMPKINS I WENT OUTSIDE THE BOX AND FOUND GRAY FANTASY PUMPKINS AND MINI WHITE PUMPKINS.






AS YOU PREP FOR YOUR THANKSGIVING SETTINGS, I SAY EITHER GO LARGE SCALE OR IN MINIATURE.  CHECK IN MANANA FOR SOME MORE LAST MINUTE IDEAS FOR YOUR THANKSGIVING SETTINGS.  

HAPPY T-DAY


M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...