Thursday, December 8, 2011

Happy Meals & 30 Min.

When I was a kid I loved Happy Meals. Who didn't? Sometimes I would fantasize about my mother popping into school and dropping off a special lunch for me.  
Now, I know McDonalds is frowned upon because of nutritional awareness. Miss. S has yet to have eaten a Happy Meal.   So, what would be the equivalent for her? Well it goes a little something like this.....

Avocado Rolls

Edamame
(really the only veggie S loves)

Japanese Packaging with Chopsticks

La-La Land Bag=
Perfection & Happiness


I know the meal sounds like a bit pricey, & the "Happy Meal" lunch is certainly not our everyday, but it is a meal she loves and asks for often. The packaging is so special, no toys are necessary to make it a "Happy Meal."

Truly a 30 Minute Meal
Now, most love the idea of the 30 minute meal.  Who doesn't love the idea of whipping something up in 30 minutes that is good for your family and hungry appetites? 

We all know who coined this phrase 

I have nothing against the lady, and it seems she has some great ideas at times. However, I will say most of the time the dishes do not seem to be that attractive, and I am usually not left wishing I could have a bite. I think because more often than not we over complicate meals. They truly can be simply made, especially when you are pressed for time. All that being said, I say the best 30 minute meals involve fish, a complex carb, and a simply treated veggie. 

Here is our go-to 30 minute meal.

I purchased 4 filets of boneless trout at Whole Foods. 
I seasoned the trout with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and thyme.
 I then placed the fish skin down in warm oil and let the fish cook for 12 minutes skin side. 



Before putting the fish on I cooked mixed grained rice.  I then plate  the fish over the rice and the avocado on top.


The kids love it & so do I



Did you notice these fun placemats? 


Happy Eating!




Mel

3 comments:

  1. Yah Mel, for sharing your happy, healthy meals! I'm a huge believer that kiddos will eat and enjoy what they see us enjoying, no toys required. Our babe Greta loves salmon, brown rice, brown bread--all those things mom's worry their kids won't eat, because it's what mamma and daddy are eating. I bet she'd love it even more on those super cute placemats. And when she goes to school, I'm going to borrow your packaging tricks!

    Thanks for the reminder that every meal we share with the ones we love is a happy meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so easy and delicious! Thanks, Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...