Thursday, January 26, 2012

Traveling: If the Shoe Fits

We are getting ready to go on a trip with a group from our church to ISRAEL, and we are so excited!  I have never been there before but have always wanted to go, and this is our big chance!  Our itinerary is packed full (as it should be) of fascinating places to visit, and we have been told there will be lots of walking to reach and experience sites like Nazareth, Jerusalem and Bethlehem.


So the big question facing me at this point is, what to pack??  The part that's tripping me up (pun intended) is what shoes can stand up to pounding the cobblestones all day for 8 days?  My feet have been less forgiving with non-comfortable shoes lately, so a truly cushy sole and good fit are a must.  My running shoes fit the bill... but I just can't bring myself to bring them along.  So I'm on the hunt for something that's cute (enough) and can handle a trek up the Mount of Olives.

Not exactly feminine, but these boots look like they would be perfect for long, off road walks, and their neutral color would go with a lot.

 These are technically sneakers, I know, and I don't love the two tone laces, but if I do go the tennis shoe route, these would be a great neutral, cute option that doesn't scream tourist quite as loudly as most others.  Thumbs up.

These loafers/boat shoes are adorable, and their rubber sole would make them comfy, even at the end of a long day.  Cute, preppy stylish option.

I've seen tons of fashionable women (Mel included!) wearing some version of these lace-up Oxford shoes.  These have a cushioned sole and a feminine low profile.

One great option I already have is a cute red pair of Tom's shoes.  These will be coming no matter what and will be my go-to pair if the walking shoes I buy don't hold up their end of the bargain.  

What shoes do you like to wear on trekking trips like this? I'd love some ideas!  

Liza


2 comments:

  1. Hey Liza. I couldn't resist responding to a post about shoes and Jerusalem.... When I was there I was really surprised by just how steep and hilly the place was - think San Francisco - and how slick the stones were. I wore riding boots that didn't have traction on the soles (handy for riding horses and camels in Jordan) and actually slipped a couple of times descending the Mount of Olives! I ended up taking off the boots and wearing these fantastic Israeli water sandals that I found in Galilee - keep a look out for them; they're like the ballet flat crocs only with a basket weave pattern and much better looking. Anyway, I think they were like 7 shekels or something ridiculous and really comfortable for walking, and kept me from slipping on all those worn stones...

    Other essential Jerusalem fashions:

    1. scarves that are large enough to use as headscarves in a pinch, in case you want to enter a mosque, church, or temple; you won't need them everywhere but sometimes they come in handy

    2. "convertible" shirts that can either be short or long sleeve (same reason as above)

    Hope you have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info about what it's like in Jerusalem, Stella! Really helpful. Take care!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...