Thursday, August 29, 2013

Painting Kitchen Cabinets

The Rev. and I love our new apartment. One reason I love it so much is because of its wonderful potential. With just a few cosmetic changes this place will sing.  One space that I have been focused on lately has been our kitchen. When I was working with our painter I asked that he paint the cabinets, but he insisted that this task would be IMPOSSIBLE and way too much work. I said ok, 
filing away "impossible."  Other friends said the task would be too great, but when I asked Liza and Jeremy Coleman they enthusiastically encouraged me to go for it. So, I rolled up my sleeves
and went for it. 

Everywhere I read, I was guided to take the proper steps in prep work. I did that and I am so grateful I did. I just asked at Home Depot inthe paint department for all the proper materials, and I was on my way.  
Step uno was to remove all the cabinets, hardware, and degloss everything by way of Klean Strip. I then sanded our cabinets andpainted one coat of oil based primer (Liza says this step is KEY).Once the base was dry we began painting the cabinets in Popcornby Martha Stewart. Where there were bumps I simply sanded them outand allowed for drying. The cabinets were painted in two coats. I sanded the cabinets in the end for an aged look. Our place after all is over 100 years old, so I thought the details ought to look slightly lived in. 















I can not wait to show you our big reveal and all our fun additions from the mountains. 

Mil Besos,

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...