Tuesday, April 17, 2012

CATE W ZAHL

Our dear friend Cate, agreed to share her favorite party tips on a budget.  THANK YOU!  You can find Cate writing for Apartment Therapy.  She has beautiful style, and we have seen her transform small spaces into beautiful homes. 


Recently, I've thrown a number of baby showers. It seems all my friends are having babies! So I've sort of got it down to a science. I've learned what works, what doesn't, what's worth spending money on, and what you can do on the cheap. Here are some of my tips on adding personal details to any shower that are sure to make the event unique, special and beautiful.

1. If you're a mother, raid your kid's closet. Hanging special little newborn gowns on pretty cloth hangers makes for the perfect decoration. In my case, I've got a few linen gowns that were either mine as baby or my husband's whose mother lovingly kept and handed down. They feel vintage and dear hung on a mantel or piece of furniture. I've hung a vintage christening gown on my secretary desk with a light illuminating it. Very dramatic! If you don't have kids, ask you friends who do to bring a few outfits, or you can plan to display your present that you got the expectant mother.

2. Make miniature arrangements instead of having big ones. I happen to have a silver baby cup collection that works perfectly to make small arrangements full of inexpensive flowers, such as miniature aster, spray roses, and babies breath. Spread them about everywhere and it'll feel perfectly babyish!

3. Go for simple food. Everyone loves tea sandwiches, they are always a hit. I buy already prepared egg salad, tuna salad and chicken salad from Whole Foods and make little sandwiches, and call it a day. Adding fresh sea salt and cracked pepper, along with slicing pickles makes them taste homemade. I will fill up glass jars full of candy and maybe do a sweet treat like macaroons. But less is more with the food. One thing that's a must is champagne!












Thanks, Cate, for sharing your fabulous ideas!!

Besos,

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...